If you’re planning to go on a diet and cut out fats, just don’t do it before you read this article on why do we need fat as humans. Let’s get started!
As humans, we need a balanced diet to look, feel, and live well. That diet needs three essential macronutrients or macros, which are proteins, carbs, and fats. These come along with other important substances called micronutrients; vitamins and oligoelements. We were told for too long that fats and carbs were bad for our health, but actually, we cannot survive without them! Each macro and micro has an essential role in our body, but let’s start with fats since we hate them the most.
Why Do We Need Fat And What It Does For Your Body?
Fats are needed by the body because:
- They’re a great source of energy – every gram of fat is equal to 9 calories (more than twice than proteins and carbs). Also, our brain uses it as one of the main sources of energy. Feeling dumb-dumb and slow? Have some dark chocolate or avocado and get energized!
- It makes you feel full, so you’re going to eat fewer carbs and sugars (you need these too though). This can cause you to lose weight and lower your insulin levels way faster than low-fat diets. That’s why the keto diet is so good!
- It gives you a strong heart and a longer life! Balanced amounts of healthy fats can protect your heart from disease and reduce mortality.
- Fats help you building hormones. That will keep your sex drive up in the sky, your skin and hair looking beautiful, and improve your mood.
- Fear of wrinkles while aging? Send wrinkles away by giving your skin extra flexibility eating good-fat sources.
Why Do We Need Fat? For Balanced Meals!
How to keep balance with your meals then? Add these to your grocery list!
- Grass-fed meat and dairy.
- Dark Chocolate.
- Go nuts with nuts, peanuts, almonds, and others.
- Fish, fish, fish. Go for salmon, sardines, and fishes blue as fish can get.
- Fish oils, avocado oil, extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and other healthy oils.
- Fall in love with avocados!
Check your diet and give it some twists here and there to fill the low-fat spaces with these. These are just a matter of pleasure vs happiness! Want to try vegetarianism? Learn here why you should!